The Sunday Mail
Government has approved a multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral approach in order to arrest the rampant drug situation that has gripped youths under ‘Operation Clean Up Harare Ghetto’.
The operation will start with the capital city, Harare before it spreads across the country and broadened to ‘Operation Clean Up Zimbabwe’ with a focus to curbing drug and substance abuse.
The approach, according to Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa, will include intensification of prevention, harm reduction, treatment, rehabilitation, reduction of demand and elimination of supply and availability of illicit and over-the-counter substances and drugs on the market.
“The capacities, efficiency and activities of the police, justice and customs department will be complemented and strengthened,” Minister Mutsvangwa said as she briefed journalists Tuesday.
So far, she said over 200 culprits involved in the trade of illicit substances have been arrested.
“These will face the full wrath of the law,” said the Minister.
In the short-term, Government said it would deal with the scourge of substance abuse among others, operationalisation of the Zimbabwe National Drug Master Plan (ZNDMP – 2020 to 2025) and Treatment and Rehabilitation Guidelines of Alcohol and Substance Use Disorder of Zimbabwe (TRGASUD ZIM).