The Sunday Mail
There are many variations of picadillo. This is a savoury and traditional Cuban home-cooked meal with ingredients that are readily available in any supermarket.
Do not omit wine, as it is really important to the flavour of this dish. Serve with garlic and onion, white rice, black beans and fried ripe plantains. Garnish with strips of ham and roasted red pepper.
Salt to taste;
Two tablespoons olive oil;
One onion, minced;
One green bell pepper, minced;
Two teaspoons crushed garlic;
One-and-half pounds lean ground beef;
Two cups dry red wine;
One (15 ounce) can tomato sauce;
Two-thirds cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped;
Half cup capers, drained;
Quarter cup golden raisins;
One teaspoon ground cumin;
One pinch dried oregano;
Quarter teaspoon black pepper;
Quarter teaspoon salt;
One teaspoon olive oil.
1. Place the potatoes into a large pot with enough water to cover; season with salt. Bring the water to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the pot and cook the potatoes at a simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; cook and stir the onion, green bell pepper and garlic in the hot oil until the vegetables soften, about five minutes.
3. Crumble the ground beef into the onion mixture, breaking the meat into smaller pieces as you mix; cook and stir until the beef is completely browned, seven to 10 minutes. Drain as much fat from the mixture as possible.
4. Stir the red wine, tomato sauce, olives, capers, golden raisins, cumin, oregano, black pepper and quarter teaspoon salt into the ground beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer until the wine has reduced significantly, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Peel the cooled potatoes and cut into chunks.
6. Heat one teaspoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the potatoes in the hot oil until browned, about five minutes.
7. Gently fold the cooked potatoes into the simmering ground beef mixture; cook together for five minutes.
Per Serving: 471 calories; protein 26g 52 percent DV; carbohydrates 29,6g 10 percent DV; fat 22g 34 percent DV; cholesterol 78,9mg 26 percent DV; sodium 1337,7mg 54 percent DV. — allrecipes.